Tuesday, August 27, 2013

That's Crap....


Mesaieed, Qatar

There so many great things about the guest quarters here, but internet and cable are not two of them and to quote my step-daughter “that’s crap”.     I have gotten used to not having email and internet on my phone and I am actually enjoying  not being tied to my phone, however I loved my cable fix as I  am easing  my way into international living.  The first few days we were here I found 6 channels out of the 200+ that spoke English.   BBC was a nice news update option along with the AlJazerah news channel and  but my favorite was the Kuwait 2 channel featuring the HGTV show Property Brothers every day at 10:45 and then a couple cooking shows.     Three days into our stay the cable goes down and is in need of  repair  so no more cable for a week.    In the US we get frustrated with  the cable guy showing up between 12pm-5pm, but here they show up sometime between Wednesday and Monday.  It’s really a small thing but getting to watch the news and get a little American TV was a fun little diversion and I miss it!    Wifi is sporadic and  Greg and I have to take turns getting on the internet in the only spot that has a decent signal- the corner of our kitchenette.   Every so often  the streaming is strong enough to listen to the radio on Margaritaville.com  for some nice background music .   I think it’s time to invest in more songs on our itunes account as we keep hearing the same songs over and over and over and over. 

The next excursion to Shoprite had me focused on all the fresh fish. In talking to the workers behind the fish counter they tried to explain  the 2 dozen kinds of whole fresh fish available to me.   They suggest grilling for almost all of them and I only have access to a couple small sauté pans and an oven so that won't work.     I really want to get a 2 foot long needle fish, but they talk me out of it and I end up with a jesh fish and a sardine to play with along with some fresh head on shrimp .  I buy a few more exotic fruits and vegetables for that night but don’t have a clue what most of it is and how it will taste.
That night I attempt to filet the jesh fish with a dull paring knife and butcher it , so I give up on  gutting and cleaning he sardine.   I start tasting the items I brought home to decide what to do with them.   The amla berry was very tart and I discover it is actually a goose berry. The gotokula leaf is a slightly bitter and bland  version of cilantro and the drumstick reminds me of a 2 foot long thin combination of  okra and celery.    For dinner I ended up with pan seared jesh fish  and shrimp with a spicy amla berry and mango compote paired with stewed drumstick and baby eggplant and  a gotokula leaf  salad/ tabouleh with citrus and onion.   It sounds much more exotic and tasty than it turned out but it was fun and different.   You will note there are no pictures as the plating really wasn’t that attractive at all..   

No wine, beer or anything fun  is an option here so our dinner drinks have been fresh juices mixed with soda water.   At the club they offer a fresh lemonade blended with a little ice and mint, absolutely wonderful!    Recently when we had breakfast in Dubai they made a fresh orange juice "icee" blended with basil that was out of this world.   I suggest all of you get your blender out and try these (and I imagine a little rum or vodka would also be a nice addition!) 


Cheers and Good Travel! 

2 comments:

  1. Will try the OJ with basil. Enjoying the blog!

    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laurel-- trust me the orange basil icee was awesome. We are staying at the hotel connected to that breakfast spot this Wednesday and I am planning on another one.

    ReplyDelete